FIFTY SHADES OF ...

By JAK - June 21, 2018


Hey guys,
It's been a while actually. I've been taking sometime out to rest . The weather has been generally very nice around here(Lagos). So i'm taking advantage of good sleep.

I can't exactly remember when I started reception(as my school called it) or nursery 1 in other schools. It's been a really long time honestly but one thing I remember is the chart on the wall where we had about eight colors in circles, triangles and quadrilaterals. The colors were red, pink, blue, green, purple, yellow,black and white. Amazing right!  I'm still surprised I remember. But it essentially shows how interested I've been in colors all my life really.
Today i'm sharing some new things I've learnt about colors  last year and throughout my ... years.

Color as described in my fine art class was defined thus
'Color is the element of art that is produced when light, striking an object, is reflected back to the eye'.

But to me color is a lot more, it's what tells me i'm not actually blind and Life is full of variety. Imagine if Coke, Fanta and Sprite looked the exact same color. You won't be able to define the variety in flavor.



I'll be introducing the main colors you've always known but this time with a variety of shades in each one.
"Last year I sat with two friends and one mentioned a color called Teal. The other guy was confused and refused to believe there is a color such as teal so he asked me being the girl in the setting. I quickly searched the internet and showed him the color. He shook his head and laughed".

In that moment I was convinced that it's probable that so many people gender not withstanding know the primary and secondary colors only.

Primary Colors
Elementary science class Grade 1 was when I first learned about something called 'primary colors' the Miss had said 'these colors are colors from which other colors are obtained by mixing'. She further illustrated that they were red, blue and yellow. That evening she had given us homework to pluck any flower, immerse in water, rub together against our palms and squeeze. "It should produce a color"she said. Sincerely primary school was fun.

RED
The strongest looking color(E no dey fear face).

These are some of its shades you don't know.

BLUE

My school house from Junior to High school.

YELLOW

Mr Sun, Sun, Mr. Golden Sun, please shine down on me

Secondary Colors
These I came to love when I did Fine arts in JSS1. Back then I had to get poster colors to create a color wheel and my fine arts teacher had said 'they are gotten by mixing two primary colors'. I had been too excited doing that homework. I really wanted to see if what he had said was true.
So, first i mixed RED + BLUE = PURPLE or indigo or violet. Actually it's purple, the others are shades.


I was besides myself. My sister felt my excitement, it was really amazing.
Then, I moved to
RED + YELLOW = ORANGE.

This stuff felt magical really wanted to see what the next color will be so i tried
BLUE + YELLOW = GREEN

Now, I felt like some extreme artist. Those were great times.

After I was done with my assignment I decided to find out a little more about colors so i kept mixing my colors to get
PINK

Not a fan, feels so Princess like

Then I got BROWN, i'm dark skinned so yeah I checked out

Then, i got GREY pretty cool color(P.S Just found out the spelling is 'GREY' not 'GRAY') has confused me for so long.

Recently, I found out that WHITE and BLACK also have shades.

Amazing huh?
Yeah pretty nice.

So now i'm feeling very colorfied cos I know a good number of colors.


I hope you do too. Colors are fun. I'd like your experiences on how you got to meet colors. Thanks for reading to this full stop. Catch you on the next post. Chao

This is a color wheel

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 Comments