DEFINING MOMENTS: AUGUST IN A NUTSHELL

By JAK - September 02, 2021


Yayyyy Guys. This series is back. 

The funny thing about this post today is the fact that the last post here, in this series was in July 2020. So, It makes perfect sense to continue the post from August this year LOL.

I am more than excited to be writing again and I am confident that the good Lord that had begun this good work will see it to completion. 

My week has been awesome so far and I am proud to officially usher you finally into my birthday month - SEP to the TEM to the BER.

August was a very defining month for me. It was as though I had received a new brain. Everything just made sense and the required strength to carry on the demands of the new brain was made available too.

In August, I decided to write a set of posts each day from the 21st to my birthday which is on the 20th of September. It is one of the most challenging journeys I have ever embarked upon. However, I am very proud to report to you that so far it has been very rewarding and worth it in every way possible. 

Asides from blogging, a lot happened in August and in a second I will give you all the yummy details. So...


MAJOR EVENT

The month came with a lot of major events quite sincerely but most notable amongst them was Tales and Cocktails by Kokopelli. You can check them out here

I had a blast. Two things I never get enough of are good conversation and Art in whatever form possible. Kokopelli is a Lagos-based art gallery, a fantastic one as well if I might add. It hosted an evening of Lagos-based tales where I met an outstanding individual by the name of Chu Nwagbogu. You can check him out here

Chu is an accountant, author, and storyteller. I was so glad I met him. The evening brought sweet cocktails and lovely stories. I met Ella Forte, an award-winning spoken word artiste, and two friends from University, Tobi and Omezi. It was a delightful night. 

Chu released a book titled "Light does not need a chain". Fantastic book guys. While reading it I couldn't stop blushing. The stories inside the book are literally the reason I started blogging again. After he read a few stories at the event, I went to meet him and after my conversation with him, I knew it was time to start telling my own stories. I am so happy I did not miss that important event because as far as I know, it was a life-changing event for me. 


MAJOR SETBACK 

Money. In case I haven't stated or you haven't heard I live by myself with my beautiful best friend. Living by yourself is always a good idea if you ask me. It helps you appreciate the sacrifices of your parents and also helps you see things from a clearer perspective. I could not do so much and I could not buy as much as I wanted because I had to maintain a very strict budget. I usually set a budget but I have never been as strict as I was in August. While budgeting is a great thing, it can also be a bitch because going outside your budget can be really bad. This was a bittersweet setback if there is anything like that but if you have money to send to me please send the money. I no go refuse. 


MAJOR ACCOMPLISHMENT

My Blog. As I said earlier, I made a promise to myself and all of you to write a post a day until my birthday. So far, it has been a massive success. It has taught me that consistency is a promise to myself and if I claim to be as credible as I claim to be, then I must keep my promise to myself.

Writing every day even for the most skilled writer can be a pain in the ass but I guess there is a reason why they say Practice makes Perfect. As I continue to write, I see the reason why it is necessary to stay consistent.


In the month of August; I was 

READING

Austin Kleon's trilogy "Steal Like An Artist", "Show Your Work" and "Keep Going". I finished each in under two days and I was really happy. I learnt so much from each book and I am a better creative for it. If you have the time, please read these books. They are very short and straight to the point. If you would like I can send you the E-book copies. All you have to do is leave your email address in the comment section and I will get right to it.


LEARNING

Soft Skills. Another major accomplishment this month was I finished an online course under two weeks. This is such a feat because it takes me approximately 6 months to 1 year to finish a small online course. Some woke and smart people call it a finishing problem but I call it "I have coconut head". I do not understand why I could not drag myself to finish something I was so delighted to begin in the first place. I however overcame my coconut head and finished my Jobberman/Coursera Soft Skills Training in under two weeks. Whoop whoop. Now, I have a whole soft skill certification, it's about to get real guys. Watch this space.  


WATCHING

Love Island. If you know me, then you might know that I get a little too excited when it comes to Reality TV. Dr. 90210, BOTCHED, Big Brother Naija, KUWTK, The Bachelorette, and company are amongst a few of my favorites. Actually, there are a lot more. I reunited with Love Island this month and I have been having such a blast. The funny thing however is that I told myself that I wanted to reduce my leisure screen time on my laptop (what I mean by this is how much I watch movies which is a lot, to be honest) only for me to start watching Love Island on my phone. I shake my head in pity for myself.

 P.S I am shocked Maria from BBN S6 went home last weekend, are you too? 


CHANGING

My approach to learning. Generally. I would say I am a good learner but I believe I take theoretical learning to the extreme so much so that I lose the sense of the practical approach. I am learning to balance theory with practice in real life and this is a big change to my learning. I am quite excited about the adventure. 


LOVING

Solomon Buchi,

 


Fiyin Olubiyi

and LifeGivaDotCom


for incredible Christian lifestyle content. They made going on Instagram in August very worth it. Seeing their posts was always a breath of fresh air.

 

WORKING

With two amazing brands. Sustyvibes and GRACIT Technological Foundation. I love the environment and want to help out in preserving Mother Nature in whatever capacity possible. With these two brands, I get to do that and I am super excited about the work to come. I am also working on FUNZHIVO (Foon-zi-voh). An African blog with an awesome friend. So stay tuned for more exciting updates.

 

APPRECIATING

CCI Lagos Island family especially MAP 1 babies. If you do not know what CCI Lagos Mainland is it is Celebration Church International. I found my Lagos family in them and I am just elated to be amongst brethren in Christ. I am also thanking my close friends for being such an amazing support system for me. One big kiss for my birthday mate and baby girl, Busayo who said I should never stop writing.

 


LISTENING

To Hans Zimmer. This genius has done some of the biggest movie soundtracks my favorite being Kung Fu Panda. Listening to these soundtracks when working is such a great stimulant to increase my general productivity. Thank you Dr. O for hooking me up with this amazing productivity hack. You guys should check Zimmer out and let me know what you think.

 

August was a good month and doing a post like this helps me appreciate it even more. I am looking forward to September and Hoping for the best.

 

PLANS FOR SEPTEMBER

As you must now know, my birthday is this month and I have been making a lot of noise about it. I am so excited about this birthday. I am grateful to have gone through a whole year of wins, losses, and lessons.

I plan to begin to intensive research about things I am very passionate about and making a lot of money. P.S if you have jobs for me, please Hit me up. I am also looking forward to reading more books. The key focus for the month is Best-selling author, Seth Godin, you can join me if you like. Also, I intend to have a more consistent devotion with Abba.

 

This post is not just because I want to give you gist about my life but more so because I believe very much in tracking growth. I believe that by keeping stock of some important lessons from the past you can clearly navigate the future and avoid mistakes that you can avoid.

My hope with this post is that it inspires you to take stock of your past month as well. You do not have to be as detailed as mine has been but it would be great if you can define the important moments in the last month.

 

As a follow up and for feedback, please you can leave in the comment section, one interesting part of the month of August we can all learn from. It can be wins, losses, achievements, setbacks, or whatever you feel comfortable sharing.

 


Let us keep each other accountable.

 

If you would like to get in touch or talk to me personally. You can always reach me on Instagram here.

 

Signing out of August,

All my Love,

JAK. 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 Comments