DON'T JUMP. TAKE THE STAIRS

By JAK - September 19, 2021


This should be the shortest post I would write on this blog but it is a very critical one and one that was a major lesson for me. I began this blog as a platform to share my lessons, wins and loses and so on. 


As I rightly predicted, my 22nd year was a big jump for me. 

I had a big career jump.

I had a big living standard jump.

I had more responsibilities with organizations I volunteered for and so on. 

The list is actually quite long. 

To give you context, I will share one of these lessons with you to hit home my point. 


Early in the year, I moved out of my uncle's house. For the longest time, I had told myself "I can't wait to start living by myself".  While saying this in my mind, I was panicking greatly because somehow it felt like I would enjoy living by myself once I had everything financially sorted out. I would not advise anyone to live on their own if they are not emotionally and financially ready for such a jump but circumstances beyond my control led me to take this beautiful step. 

I spoke to my friend Daniel who had been living by himself for a long time. He asked what my real fear was with making the move and asked what I needed to do to make the move flawless. After a few sessions, I was ready to make the move. I kept him as a guide and when things got really difficult I would call him for some reassurance. 

It is exactly 9 months later and I am better for it. I love living by myself and I wouldn't want it any other way. 

You might be trying to decipher how my story relates to don't jump, take the stairs. 

I have learned that when doing anything in life unless you are taking a leap of faith moving one small step at a time is always better than taking that super big leap. 

With respect to my story, rather than just move to my house and fail woefully. I took the following small steps.

1. I accepted that I was scared, vulnerable, and without as much real-life information.

2. I opened up to someone who could help me.

3. I accepted to be honest, accountable, and receive help.

4. I did not claim to have it all figured out after the move but was vulnerable enough to ask for assistance when I failed after making the move.

5. I made a plan with my friend on what and what I needed to do to get back up.

6. I am still open to learning and instruction from him. 

Generally, I believe that if you take small steps the risk of injury is much smaller but if you jump, you can break yourself if the jump doesn't go according to plan. 

I would always advocate for small steps any day any time. 

I hope this made real sense to you.

We are drawing close to the end of our challenge and I am grateful for the support and love. 

Till the next post.

All my love,

JAK

 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 Comments