MY FAVORITE LOOKS FROM THE MET GALA

By JAK - September 19, 2021




This post is some days old sha. The Met Gala happened on Monday and there were a lot of looks that were of note. I decided to take you through my top 10 looks of the evening and give you some education on what the fuss with the Met Gala is.

I will answer a few questions you might have been asking in your mind and feeling too lazy to google about. My criteria for these outfits are strictly based on execution, general presentation, and aesthetic satisfaction to me as a fashion enthusiast.

WHAT IS THE MET GALA?

The Met Gala, formally called the Costume Institute Gala or the Costume Institute Benefit and also known as the Met Ball, is an annual fundraising gala for the benefit of the Metropolitan Museum of Art's Costume Institute in New York City. It marks the opening of the Costume Institute's annual fashion exhibit. Each year's event celebrates the theme of that year's Costume Institute exhibition, and the exhibition sets the tone for the formal dress of the night, since guests are expected to choose their fashion to match the theme of the exhibit.


THEMES

Each year the event has a theme, and includes a cocktail hour and a formal dinner. During the cocktail hour, guests arrive to walk on the red carpet, tour the year's special themed exhibition, and be seated before the dinner party that includes entertainment from the preeminent entertainers of the day. The theme not only sets the tone for the annual exhibit, but also for the guests who attempt to dress to uphold the theme of the year, oftentimes causing runs on certain fashion themes among the world's leading fashion retailers.


MET GALA 2021

The Met Gala 2021 was themed "In America: A Lexicon of Fashion". It was the first part of a two-part exhibition on the theme of American Fashion which will be concluded in 2022. This Met Gala opened the exhibition at the Anna Wintour Costume Center on September 18, 2021 which will remain on display till May 5, 2022, the proposed date for Part two of the exhibition titled "In America: An Anthology of Fashion". The show will run till September 5, 2022. 

 My favorite looks of the night in no particular order are as follows:

CL

I love what she did with the jeans. I would wear mine with a pair of trousers instead. Hairstyling was phenomenal as well. She nailed the theme as well. What is more American than denim?


CIARA

I am a huge fan of green and so anything that comes in green tends to leave a strong impression. I love how she was inspired by her husbands jersey number. She looked stunning. She embodied America with her football inspired outfit.


GIGI HADID

I think Gigi is absolutely beautiful and the execution to her dress was flawless. It was such a simple but stunning look and it gave old American money vibes. She was such a princess.


KENDALL JENNER

Kendall could easily have been crowned the belle of the ball. Her dress was inspired by a dress Audrey Hepburn had worn and she nailed it. She looked extra gorgeous. 


JENNIFER LOPEZ

JLo's country inspired fit was giving me all the vibes. She looked super American and super good. 


RIHANNA

In my eyes, it will be very difficult for Riri to go wrong. I loved the beanie and duvet type look but more than the fit I loved how she was representing all the immigrants who come to America. Great storytelling if you ask me. 


NORMANI

What I loved most about Normani's look was the color of her dress but I also loved how she channeled Black American Royalty. She looked stunning in a style I am terming Simplified Flamboyance. 


ROSEANNE PARK OF BLACKPINK

Rose looked stunning in her beautiful black and white number. More is more with simpler details and bigger statements sometimes. I love how the small bow took the black dress from okay to OOOKKKAAAYYYY. 



TESSA THOMPSON

I just loved the execution of her dress. I think the designer did a great job on the look. 


INDYA MOORE

My favorite thing about Indya's fit was her bald head. I also liked the fact that her outfit is absolutely something I could wear to an occasion or something. It went perfectly with her bald head styling as well. 

The first thing that struck me was that I could almost not recognize Hailee. She looked so gorgeous, the execution was flawless and the fit was really nice. I loved the outfit more when I realized it was from recycled plastics.


KEHLANI

First thing that caught my attention was how well the hair went with the outfit. So, I will give her stylist a 10/10. I loved the subtle sparkle as well.


ELLA EMHOFF

What really got me here was the androgynous look as well as the sneakers. I love that she went for outstanding comfort.


CHANCE THE RAPPER

I knew he was on the list once I saw his blazer. It was like a flag on its own but it still had such a crazy mad vibe to it.


JENNIFER HUDSON

I just loved how big her dress was and the color red as well.


VENUS WILLIAMS

Nothing extraordinary here but I loved how well the outfit suited her body and her overall styling. 


KIM KARDASHIAN

If my style does not make a statement then I did not really pass across the message. I love a style that passes across a strong message. Call Kimmy's look what you may, I loved it. Every single detail of the look and I felt a very strong Kanye influence on it as well. 


HAMISH BOWLES

The statue of liberty no do pass my uncle but what really got me were his shoes. I loved how his look was just different and nicely executed. 


GIVEON

Good color combination. I loved the simplicity of the look as well.



PETE DAVIDSON

Maybe Pete was trying to be funny. I don't know but I dug this look. He nailed it if you ask me. 



MJ RODRIGUEZ

The extra was extra and that just caught my attention. 


IMAN

First, let me comment on how amazing she looks at post 60 and her designer designed the look quite honestly. Everything about the look was spectacular. 


GRIMES

Absolutely American. Grimes gave us serious Alien vibes.


The post took longer than I anticipated and I liked more looks than I thought I would. Bottom line I was excited to somewhat follow the gala and write my thoughts. Which look is your favorite and why?

Leave your thoughts about the post in the comment section. I had fun. Hope you did too?


Till my next post,

All my love,

JAK 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 Comments